Website news (version 11.06)

Directory Pages updated and fixed

We went to use the Macomber directory and found out that none of the buttons were working! So of course we went right to work to get those fixed. We also updated the background code and eliminated some old code that is no longer used. While we were there we added a button to access the list of Macomber names and another button so that those in the family can find out what the latest additions are to the Macomber family tree.

Being the curious, we decided to go through the directory pages and update things. So we went to the Anderson directory page, and saw that the buttons there were in small print so that was fixed, the background code was updated, and we added a link to the update blog page for that family.

Before moving onward however, we checked our contact form, and found that it was not working properly. We also found a link on the page that had not been corrected. So now that works.

Next we check the Douthit family page. Fortunately we found that the links all worked. So for now we decide to leave that page alone.

Next we check the Erhart family page. The links to people did not work. The button for a the family updates blog also was not present. So we updated the code, cleaned up the page, and fix those problems.

Last we found the Green family page needed some updating, so that was done.

Well with all that the directory pages and contact pages are all working again! Hope they stay that way!

Website Moved

Now for big news. We moved our website to a new server! The old site was simply too small and cost too much. We are trying this new system to see if we can make things work or not. So far the transfer of the website went pretty smoothly considering how large things are. We read that we could make a backup of the website and simply unzip it and load it into the new site. This was easier said than done. It took two days to upload the data and files and then when we tried to load the database tables into the new system we found that the â??backupâ? file was actually an old file with a current time and date stamp on it. All our work there had to be hand updated, one table at a time, and then carefully checked against the current system. That took about a day to do. But in the end, the data is up and the website is running just fine. It is a bit slower than the old one I think by milliseconds in tests.

My worry is about the weekly updates. It is a slow process and very intensive. I moved to the last website hosting company in June because it was a company that catered to the software we use. It also works very well. But since we outgrew it and getting just a little more space would double our monthly fee, it was not feasible to stay.

So we did a test run last night and things did not work well. We will try another test run tonight to see how it goes, and to see if it will work better or not. I sure hope it will! We have lots of space now so this is the only issue left.

OK, the second test was done and there is still no way to know how it it going. The data however seems to be getting processed just fine, and the cleanup of data afterwards was very good, in fact I think it was faster than the other hosts we have used. So for how we will probably stay and look for solutions to the update metering.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *